Tuesday, July 21, 2020

The choice of the right word to describe an occurrence, a feel, an emotion..how  a word feels just right...


It was evening and I was making a cup of coffee for the spouse.  I am the classic 'Butter Fingers'  and to avoid sending another cup into the dustbin, I decided to pour the coffee out in a glass.  A 'phulpatra' as they call it in marathi.. or a small round bottomed steel glass with an edge which juts out... eases sipping .

I lifted the coffee pot with the left hand and without looking picked out a glass from the rack... and just as I was about to pour the coffee out.. the heart missed a beat and the eyes stung  and a  tear rolled down..in one micro second.


That glass had always been reserved for my dad.  In my mother's words it was the 'big glass'.. 'paav litre glass' ..and it was reserved for my father.  He drank only two cups of tea in the course of a day, but that was the glass he had it in and that was the quantity he drank.

The words  that came to my mind as it was processing all that happened was  ' टचकन डोळ्यात पाणी आले '  ...  like a needle prick.. that sting.


No comments:

Post a Comment